Sunday, April 01, 2007

HELP!!!

Taylor is addicted to the bottle! I had no idea it would be so hard to get her off the bottle. She will drink jucie from a sippy cup with no problem but not milk. She pitches a complete hissy fit and we finally just give in and pour the milk in a bottle. As soon as we give her the bottle she gulps it down. Any suggestions on how to make the transition from bottle to sippy cup would be greatly appreciated.

8 comments:

Bridget said...

Have you tried the Nuby yet? Also, before she's "due" for the milk, maybe try setting it in the room and letting her go for it first (not handing it to her)? Does she get it with meals?

For us, Libby wouldn't take it in between meals in the beginning (at her usual nursing times she'd throw the sippy). We just gave it at meal times at first (just leaving it on the tray, not handing it to her) and gave a snack instead of nursing, and gradually she started drinking it good. Still, she usually just drinks it at meal times... occassionally one more sippy in between, she dropped the bedtime feeding when she started drinking milk at dinner (the first one we added). They only need something like 18-24 oz a day at this age and the dairy she eats (cheese, yogurt) are included in that count. So if she eats a lot of cheese, she doesn't need as much milk.

Good luck!

Melissa Overstreet said...

I didn't have a problem getting Connor off the bottle, but it was difficult taking the passy from him. At 18 months (while Jimmy was on a trip) I threw them away so that I didn't have a passy to give to Connor. Sometimes it seemed like he would never go to sleep without it and I thought I had made a bad decision. But, it only took three days, and he finally started sleeping without his passy.

Also, I noticed that Connor had gotten hooked on juice. He wanted it all the time so, that same week, I decided to get Connor off the juice too. Like, Bridget, I just filled the sippy cup with water and left it within his reach. When he was good and thirsty he drank it down. I was amazed.

I've learned that it is much easier to break Connor of bad habits when it's just the two of us for a few days. Otherwise, Jimmy starts to feel sorry for him and gives in to Connor's wants.

As for cow's milk, Connor won't drink it, so I try to incorporate as many other dairy products as I can into his meals each day. I also gave him Poly Visol vitamin drops that is made by Enfamil, I think. Now he takes a half of a Flintstone vitamin with extra calcium once a day.

Our doctor now tells me that I should have never started giving Connor juice before introducing him to cow's milk. Oh well, you live and you learn.

NIKKI said...

I started with the Nuby's (which I just broke them of those) I took the bottle away one milk feeding a day. I would NOT give in for that one feeding a day. I started with the morning feeding because that is the one that they really wanted the milk. I also just handed i to them and walked away. The last one I took away was the night time one. Now they don't have milk before they go to bed.
Good luck..I hope you find something that works for ya'll.
We still haven't gotten rid of the paci...only at nap and bed times, but we REALLY need to get rid of them!

steele family said...

I feel for you Jamie, we had a terrible time taking the bottle from Emma. I did like Nikki in taking away just one bottle a day for a week. It took a month to finally get rid of it. We also tried around 12 months and she just wasn't ready so we waited a month before trying again. Maybe she just needs some more time? Are you putting her formula in the cup or cow's milk? That could also be part of the resistance.

Anonymous said...

Sounds silly, but I read that you can try drinking from a sippy cup around her. Then just set hers near her and she'll probably start drinking from it out of wanting to imitate and be like mommy.

Same philosophy as getting kids to do things that are scary like wear a gas mask at the doctor/dentist. If you put it to your face first, let them see it's okay then they are more willing to try it. I have to eat some of my daughter's finger foods off her highchair tray almost every time I introduce something new otherwise she won't try it.

Anonymous said...

Don't. give. in.

Everytime you give in and pour it back into a bottle you're letting her know that if she goes long enough she can win. If she goes w/out milk one night she will be FINE!

It'll break your heart and suck, but in a few days it will be done with. Good luck! (remember you're the boss!)

Sherry said...

Go with the Nuby! It's the best and the spout is soft like a bottle. It worked like magic for Gavin. They seem tio have a hard time with those hard spouts. The Nuby was an easy transition because Gavin liked his bottles, too. It'll happen. we finally got Gavin on sippy cups around 15 or 18 months.

Tammy said...

I agree that Nuby works. Wesley was around a year old when we found them and he finally started drinking from a sippy cup.